>> Hi Taco,
>>
>> talking about the bib module ... I usually get confused when I cite a
>> reference in the text but accidentally use the wrong citation key or
>> have forgotten to put the record into my bib file at all.  Instead of
>> screaming question marks in the pdf output ConTeXt tacidly typesets a
>> reference number and adds an empty entry to the list of references.
>> Is this really desired? After all, it makes tracking down the wrong
>> \cite command a bit of an issue ... admittedly some warnings show up
>> in the log but definitely not on the pdf printout. Would it be
>> possible to adopt the same error handling as for \in and friends?
>
> I would like an example, but I am afraid it will turn out to be
> unfixable within the current implementation. (there is probably
> a chicken-and-egg problem)

Perhaps there might be hope ;-) Empty references in the publication
list only seem to occur for "refcommand=num" together with the ams
style. Check this out:

---

\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database=references]
\setuppublications
        [alternative=ams,
         refcommand=num]

\starttext

\cite[Hoekwater:2007]

\completepublications

\stoptext

---

The reference in the text appears without any flaw and the list
contains an empty entry! The external bib file doesn't even exist.
Now delete the ams option and at least the bogus list entry will
disappear. However, in the text no trace of any error whatsoever.

With the default settings things come quite close to what I would
expect:

---

\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database=references]

\starttext

\cite[Hoekwater:2007]

\completepublications

\stoptext

---

Wouldn't it be nice to just replace the "(Xxxx, 0000)" entry by "??"
to make it consistent with the cross referencing errors?

Best,
Oliver