Hi,

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> Done that. Now, it does seem that the map files are being looked
> at. However, doing this results in a new PS file, where the fonts for
> math look awful. The specimen is here:
>
> http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~ee03b091/test.ps

After looking at the files, I think I now know what is going wrong.

The map file line is

   cmr12     CMR12     <lm-rep-cmrm.enc  <lmr12.pfb

dvips takes this to mean: you should include both files, and
then try to reencode the font CMR12 into the encoding specified
in the enc file. When it starts writing the output document, it
discovers there is no 'CMR12' font (the pfb defines the font
LMRoman12-Regular), so it does not reencode anything, after all.

It should work out ok if you change the map file line to either:

   cmr12  LMRoman12-Regular   <lm-rep-cmrm.enc  <lmr12.pfb

or

   cmr12     CMR12    <cmr12.pfb

Dvips' behaviour is probably correct or at least understandable,
but the fact that it does not warn the user is probably a bug
or at least worrying.

Best, Taco