On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:36:42 -0500 (EST)
Aditya Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I found another way, I hope that it has no gotcha's
> >>
> > search for group(ed)(empty|argument) in cont-sys.tex
>
> Did you mean syst-gen.tex? I tied dodoublegroupempty but it did not
> work in one case (see previous post) and I can not figure out why.
>
> Aditya

Hi Aditya,

I tried something similiar and copied a example from core-rul.tex

The following macro use a method copied from textrule and the second
argument between the braces should be optional. I looked into the log
file created with tracingmacros and it seems TeX cannot find the
optional argument.

\long\def\startDEBITS#1\stopDEBITS
  {\bgroup
   \def\debit{\dosingleempty\dodebit}%
   \def\dodebit[##1]%
     {\def\dododebit####1{\dodododebit[##1]{####1}}%
      \dosinglegroupempty\dododebit}%
   \def\dodododebit[##1]##2%
     {\hbox to\hsize{\strut##1\hfill##2}}%
   \vbox{\hsize4cm\hrule#1\hrule}%
   \egroup}

\starttext

%\tracingmacros1
\startDEBITS
\debit [Text] {100} ttt
\debit [Text] {200} xxx
\stopDEBITS
%\tracingmacros0

\stoptext

Hans, can you give us a hint what we are doing wrong or can you make a
simple example to show us how we can create optional arguments between
braces.

Wolfgang