On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Though I can print the thing, the problem is still somewhat pressing.
> I sent the file to two people who usually have no difficulty with my
> PDFs. But this time one could not open the fileā€”it was reported as
> damaged.

Do you by any chance use character protrusion. I had trouble with
character protrusion with pdf-1.4. It works correctly on my computer
(WinXP+Acrobat 7.0) but, I could not open the file on Solaris+Acroread
5.0. Acroread 7.0 opened the file correctly on Solaris, so I assumed
that acroread 5.0 does not support the new method of character
protrusion of pdftex.

I sent the file to someone on a Mac. If they double clicked on the
file, acrobat 7 reported the file was damaged. If they opened the file
from File->Open menu, it opened correctly. Since it was not my
computer, and the file was opening correctly, I assumed it was a
problem with the configuration on the Mac. (As you can see, I am very
confident that pdftex is doing the right thing :). Disable character
protrusion got rid of the problem with acroread 5.0 and Mac, so I did
not worry about it more (there were other things to worry about, like
the content of the pdf)

Aditya