> If you set prologues := 1 in the mp file, that should help.

That still gave Courier fonts after including fig.1 in test.ps.

> In a new metapost (texlive2007) you can even generate an
> image with the font included by using prologues := 3.

That worked.  [I'm using MetaPost 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6) from the Debian
texlive2007-2 packages.]

>From p.24 of the corresponding mpman.pdf manual:

   It is worth noting that the default value prologues:=0 is
   sufficient for graphics included in TEX-based documents.

Does that need a slight exception added to it?  Or have I
misconfigured something in the toolchain from .tex + .mp to .ps?  By
the way, the figure works fine with prologues := 0 if I include it
(using epsf.tex) in a plain-TeX document.

So I think there's something slightly off about what ConTeXt is doing.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)