Restarting an old thread ...

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> What is the correct way of using * key with TaBlE? The following does not work
>
> \starttext
>
> \starttable[|*{2}l|]

This should be [*{2}{l|}] but even then it does not work.

>   \HL
>   \NC A \NC B \NC \NR
>   \HL
> \stoptable
> \starttable[|l|l|]
>   \HL
>   \NC A \NC B \NC \NR
>   \HL
> \stoptable
>
> \stoptext

I finally found out why this is not working. \getTABLEnofcolumns does
not expand *. For example

This works fine.
\getTABLEnofcolumns{|l|l|}
\the\maxTABLEcolumn % gives 2.

This does not.
\getTABLEnofcolumns{|*{2}{l|}}
\the\maxTABLEcolumn %gives 1

\getTABLEnoofcolumns is simply counting the number of | in the format.
It should first expand the *#1#2, and then do the counting. A really
ugly workaround

\starttable[|*{2}{l|}]
   % Manually set the number of columns :-(
   \noalign{\global\maxTABLEcolumn=2}
   \NC AA  \NC 5 \NC \AR
   \NC AAA \NC 6 \NC \AR
\stoptable

I do not understand TeX well enough to correct the
\get\TABLEnofcolumns macro.

Aditya