On 11/10/07, Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 6:07 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > You can either use
> >
> > \definetypeface[MyFace][rm][Xserif][Font Name]
> > \setupbodyfont[MyFace,12pt]
> >
> > or prepare some more complex typescript examples. Note that if you
> > want to use automatic mapping from --/--- to endash/emdashes, syntax
> > has changed a bit since January until now.
> >
> > Can you send examples that don't work any more (I could imagine that
> > you were using the new syntax (file: or name: prefix) which wasn't
> > available ack in January).
>
> Wow. I'm the worst ConTeXt user ever. I've asked for help several
> times now it's mostly been because I was too careless. In this case,
> my document had no \setupbodyfont. I've always used the Xserif way.
> *reddens in shame* :-(
>
> That being said, I'm interested to know more about the new sytax. Is
> it documented anywhere?

Of course not :)

You can say (features=default is optional)
    \definefontsynonym[SomeFont][name:Font Name][features=default]
which means that XeTeX will call the font
    \font\somefont="FontName;mapping=tex-text,..." (tex-text is
implied by features=default)

Back in January and before one achived the same by saying
    \definefontsynonym[SomeFont]['Font Name;mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
Now encoding=uc is not needed any more since it's implied when one
runs XeTeX or LuaTeX. To be honest, it's not completely clear to me
what should happen with type-xtx typescripts (how to remove uc
encoding from there).

The other possibility is to say
    \definefontsynonym[SomeFont][file:lmroman12-regular][features=default]
which means that XeTeX will load the font "lmroman12-regular.otf" from
texmf tree, the equivalent in plain XeTeX being
    \font\somefont="[lmroman12-regular];mapping=tex-text,..."

When there is neither file: nor name: prefix
(\definefontsynonym[SomeFont][lmr12]), it means that XeTeX will try to
load a font in this order
- lmr12 (good old tfm fonts)
- "lmr12"
- "[lmr12]"