On Nov 23, 2007 11:53 AM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> As this strange error makes me a bit nervous I checked an older file
> for its behavior: same result!
>
> A file that without problems was typeset in April now ends up with
> the same kind of freezing:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]

you don't need that one for XeTeX, I think.

> \usetypescript[times][ec]

It's still not clear to me how to make these definition
engine-independent, but for XeTeX use

\usetypescript[times]

else you'll get the old ec-encoded fonts instead of OpenType.

> \mainlanguage[de]
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> \setupbodyfont[times,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> Wort und Tat in 1906
>
> \stoptext
>
> When this is set with pdftext all is fine.
> With xetex (or xtx) the process stop at this line:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-
> gyr.tex))! unknown encoding "utf"; reading as raw bytes

Sorry, my fault again.

For you: to solve the problem temporary, remove \enableregime, or use

\beginOLDTEX
    \enableregime[utf]
\endOLDTEX

or try to fix this line in regi-ini.mkii (and test the behavior):
    \def\mkenableregime#1{\doifnot{#1}{utf}{\XeTeXinputencoding "#1"\relax}}

For Hans: There's a little problem in regi-ini:

    \def\mkenableregime#1{\XeTeXinputencoding "#1"\relax}

\def\enableregime[#1]%
  {\edef\currentregime{\trueregimename{#1}}%
   \doifelsenothing\currentregime
     {\disableregime}
     {\douseregime\currentregime
      \mkenableregime\currentregime}}

This passes \XeTeXinputencoding "utf" to XeTeX, even is someone says
\enableregime[utf-8], but XeTeX doesn't know what "utf" encoding is
(it expects at least "utf-8" or nothing).

The following fix helps, but is not the final answer:

\def\mkenableregime#1{\doifnot{#1}{utf}{\XeTeXinputencoding "#1"\relax}}

This has one weak point though:
    \enableregime[cp1250]
    \enableregime[utf-8]
will leave the current regime at cp1250, so perhaps

\def\mkenableregime#1{\doifelse{#1}{utf}%
{\XeTeXinputencoding "utf-8"\relax}{\XeTeXinputencoding "#1"\relax}}

Another option would be to rename utf to utf-8 internally (or to adapt
\trueregimename or regi-syn), but that would probably do more harm
than good unless tested well, and it's not worth the effort.

... Hmmm .... when thinking agin ... I know that you asked me which
regime name to pass to XeTeX and I said "don't worry, it should be
more or less the same", but "8859-1" isn't valid regime name either.
I'll take a look and report back.

Mojca