Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>> if mp then
>>      res = mp:execute('plain')
>>      mp:finish()
>> end
>
> this first step runs with res=0, but there is no 'plain.mem' dumped.

For the other readers: res itself can't really be "zero". It is either
a table, or nil. The actual return value is the status field in the
table, and that can vary from 0 (good run) to 3 (extremely bad run),
and you can end up with "nil" if you have invalid arguments.

> (I have temporary appended 'dump;' to plain.mp)

After the above, you should have plain.mem in the local directory.
You can try printing res.term or res.log or even
   print(table.serialize(res))
to check if what mp is doing.

> after that I produced 'plain.mem' executing
> 'texmfstart texexec --make plain'

I assume that will create a tex plain.fmt file. But even if it
does create a .mem file, you will not succeed unless you are using
"newmpost" from the mplib-alpha-0.40 distribution and the values
you sset up for hash_size, main_memory, and param_size in the loading
stage are identical to the values used by newmpost from texmf.cnf
during mem generation.

Best wishes, Taco