Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 16 Apr 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> indeed we need the latest although in the luatex version there is a kind
>> of fallback name subsystem,
>
> Aehmmmmm.... what does this mean??? So either you need it, or there is a
> fallback system ... semantics are sometimes dangerous ;-)

well, it may work with the old fonts (depends on how old), in
font-syn.tex  you will find

fonts.names.new_to_old = {
     ["lmroman10-capsregular"]                = "lmromancaps10-oblique",
     ["lmroman10-capsoblique"]                = "lmromancaps10-regular",
     ["lmroman10-demi"]                       = "lmromandemi10-oblique",
     ["lmroman10-demioblique"]                = "lmromandemi10-regular",
     ["lmroman8-oblique"]                     = "lmromanslant8-regular",
     ["lmroman9-oblique"]                     = "lmromanslant9-regular",
     ["lmroman10-oblique"]                    = "lmromanslant10-regular",
     ["lmroman12-oblique"]                    = "lmromanslant12-regular",

etc. so older fonts are ok for context/luatex; while for xetex new fonts
are needed.

> So if we ship the old or the new one there is no problem with the one or
> the other?

not for luatex/context