On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:46:21 -0400, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Thanks, David. I tried
>
> \starttext
> A. E. Samuel\crlf
> A.\ E.\ Samuel\crlf
> A.~E.~Samuel
>
> \stoptext
>
> and can see no difference (ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKII). The
> tilde is not really a good way for me to go. The problem is that I
> publish a journal in which the bibliography is punctuated mainly by
> “.” Introducing tildes (which make spaces non-breaking) would affect
> the line-breaking negatively.

Oh - sorry about that.

What happens if you use your preferred way, but add the command
\fixedspaces somewhere previously in the document?

I've discovered that this command is now required to get either the \ .
or the ~. to have any effect for me. The problem is, I don't know how
to turn it off afterwards. :-)

David