On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:01:17 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2008/7/17 David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:46:21 -0400, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, David. I tried
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> A. E. Samuel\crlf
>>> A.\ E.\ Samuel\crlf
>>> A.~E.~Samuel
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> and can see no difference (ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKII). The
>>> tilde is not really a good way for me to go. The problem is that I
>>> publish a journal in which the bibliography is punctuated mainly by
>>> "." Introducing tildes (which make spaces non-breaking) would affect
>>> the line-breaking negatively.
>>
>> Oh - sorry about that.
>>
>> What happens if you use your preferred way, but add the command
>> \fixedspaces somewhere previously in the document?
>>
>> I've discovered that this command is now required to get either the \ .
>> or the ~. to have any effect for me. The problem is, I don't know how
>> to turn it off afterwards. :-)
>
> You can't, there is no command to reset it but this should do it.
>
> \def\variablespaces
>   {\letcatcodecommand \ctxcatcodes `\~ \nonbreakablespace}

Thanks Wolfgang. I prefer to have this behaviour available all the
time, and I don't understand why anyone would want it turned off - just
wanted to apologize for giving incomplete information.

(Any idea why \fixedspaces has been changed from default to optional?)

Thanks
David