I discovered an old file in the texsis distribution called index.tex.
Unlike eplain.tex it doesn't cause problems when used with Context.
It creates the book.idx file required by makeindex.  Now the full
range of features of makeindex are available to Context users. The
only change needed is trivial, in every \index statement change the +
sign to ! and of course run makeindex between Context runs.
This solution is simple enough and adds enough power to Context that I
suggest it be incorporated into the texexec program.    It doesn't
have all the bells and whistles of eplain but it has enough to
produce a professional index.  And since that is part of my business
I welcome it.

For a book named book.tex here is all that is required today:

\input index.tex %This overwrites the Context \index macro
\index{main item!secondary item} %two level item
\idx{resorted [EMAIL PROTECTED] item''} %prints index item in quotes

\input book.ind %prints index

I haven't checked out all the other extra features, such as putting
proof marks in the margin, but the above is sufficient for starters.

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting