On Saturday 19 July 2008 12:13:25 pm John Culleton wrote:
> I discovered an old file in the texsis distribution called
> index.tex. Unlike eplain.tex it doesn't cause problems when used
> with Context. It creates the book.idx file required by makeindex.
> Now the full range of features of makeindex are available to
> Context users. The only change needed is trivial, in every \index
> statement change the + sign to ! and of course run makeindex
> between Context runs. This solution is simple enough and adds
> enough power to Context that I suggest it be incorporated into the
> texexec program.    It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of
> eplain but it has enough to produce a professional index.  And
> since that is part of my business I welcome it.
>
> For a book named book.tex here is all that is required today:
>
> \input index.tex %This overwrites the Context \index macro
> \index{main item!secondary item} %two level item
> \idx{resorted [EMAIL PROTECTED] item''} %prints index item in quotes

> \input book.ind %prints index

For that last line I substituted:
 \title{Index}
\writetolist[chapter]{}{Index}
\tfx
\startcolumns[n=2]
\typefile{book.ind}
\stopcolumns
And the makeindex command I use is
 makeindex -s alpha.ist book.idx

The alpha.ist file adjusts the default output of makeindex.  The file
I use is here:

http://wexfordpress.com/tex/alpha.ist

Now I have a satisfactory index.  I changed all the + to ! in the
\index cammands as mentioned before. But it is possible to modify
makeindex still further with an addition to alpha.ist:
level +

--
John Culleton