Hello,

Jörg> Dear list members,

Jörg> Despite using a text editor (emacs) and context almost
Jörg> exclusively, I need a way to communicate with other members of the
Jörg> institute.

I was in the similar boat - using Emacs with muse markup but wanting to
have something which is more 'standard'- it's not that everyone is using
Emacs (yet) :-)

Jörg> I'm evaluating two possibilities: 1. Writing in markdown and using
Jörg> pandoc for conversion to either context or something openable by a
Jörg> word processor.

I tried with markdown and gave it up - it's too limiting for my writing
needs.

Jörg> I would like to know the following: - Has anybody done the same
Jörg> and come to a conclusion? Reasons?  - Is my impression correct
Jörg> that with muse one has fewer possibilities such as
Jörg> sub/superscripts?

I've settled on reST which is richer markup (see
e.g. http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/roles.html#subscript)
which is more standard than 'muse' and it enables easy conversion to
*.html (e.g. sphinx produces nice output from *.reST), and there is even
direct conversion to pdf with rst2pdf. Of course, you can enjoy rst-mode
as well.

In regard to the ConTeXt side of the equation, I hope that Pandoc will
get full parser for reST and then it will be possible to use it produce
nice ConTeXt as well (see Pandoc' archive) or we should write and/or ask
(I did) for ConTeXt back-end in docutils ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D