Hi Bart,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Bart C. Wise
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I change the loop to be the following, I still get the same error:
>
> \def\myloop#1{%
>  \tempcnta=\the\startcnt%
>  \loop
>    \advance \tempcnta by 1
>    \if\tempcnta=#1\else \repeat\fi
> }
>
> Bart

No, you should define like:

\def\myloop#1{%
 \tempcnta=\the\startcnt%
 \loop
   \advance \tempcnta by 1
   \if\tempcnta<#1\repeat
}

No \else before \repeat in this case and no \fi outside the loop.

Taking a look at the definition, you could find the following
code (something like that, I can't remember clearly):

\def\loop#1\repeat{\def\body{#1}\iterate}
\def\iterate{something to do with \body}

You can see there should not be an extra \else in the \body, and
you don't need the \fi to enclose it.

I don't know whether I've made my point clear.

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com