Mojca Miklavec wrote:

\starttext
% test 1: takes 12 seconds
\dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\cg 你好}}
% test 2: takes 9 seconds
\dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\ccg 你好}}
\stoptext

Switching the whole typescript (\def\ccg{\zhfont} and running the
second test) took 123 seconds eating 100% of processor time.

% test 1: takes 12 seconds
\dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\cg 你好}}

8 sec on my machine

% test 2: takes 9 seconds
% \dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\ccg 你好}}

6 sec on my machine

now, say that 10K switches represent 250 pages (some 40 per page which is already quite a lot for *full switches*) then we're talking of 0.01 sec per page for this, which is kind of neglectable compared to the rest of the typesetting

also, mkiv takes less than 6 sec for the test and there we can use fallbacks and as such less switches (of the runtime, 3 sec is font loading which is due to the fact that for some reason my machine/vista does 300K page faults per big font, something that will not happen on more modern machines or on linux)