> Not knowing the internals, that's what I tried to say with adding a space
> after instead of 1em, i.e. "calculated by the engine". If w an em is added
> after, it is not stretchable and shrinkable, right?

  Right.  But no particular space is added after '?' or '!' in French
punctuation mode, TeX sets the standard inter-word glue, as it should.
The only intervention by ConTeXt is the addition of the unbreakable
space before those marks (and, obviously, after '«').

> Thank you so much for the detailed technical explanation! So, AFAIK, I
> believe that the space before should be equivalent to thinspace.

  You'd need to take this up with Olivier Guéry, who suggested the 1/4
em value in the first place (refer to his interventions from last Fall,
e.g., http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2008/034845.html).  He
wrote up a small proposal on the wiki page for French Punctuation
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/French_Punctuation).

> Thanks, I'll see that. Maybe I could write some detailled specs in the wiki.

  Yes, please do so by extending the aforementioned page if needed.

        Arthur