Hi Aditya,

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 02:03:44 -0600, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

The math fonts compatible with Palatino are px math and math paza ConTeXt
only has support for px math.

ok, good to know... [I rarely use math these past few years]

[Hint:
it's not LM] I had to roll my own typescript so what I need to fill in is the
commented line below

\definetypeface [pagella_ar] [rm] [serif] [pagella_arabic] % [pagella_arabic]
% \definetypeface [pagella_ar] [mm] [math]  [palatino]       [default]

Uncommenting the above gives me an incomplete math font

Currently, no math font in mkiv is "complete". Which specific glyphs are
missing for you?

\alpha

The easiest opiton is to use asana math, which is an otf math font based
on px fonts.

\starttypescript [math] [asana] [name]
\definefontsynonym [MathRoman] [name:Asana-Math] [features=math\mathsizesuffix]
\stoptypescript

and then

\definetypeface [pagella_ar] [mm] [math]  [asana]       [default]

LuaTeX warning (file C:/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-project/fonts/data/asana/Asana-Math.otf): Type2 Charstring Parser: Unknown charstring operator: 0x00

!LuaTeX error (file C:/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-project/fonts/data/asana/Asana-Math.otf): Type2 Charstring Parser: Parsing charstring failed: (status=-1, stack=0)
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Have any of you run into this before?

If this is a showstopper, then a fallback will have to do. Have any of you made fallbacks for math fonts? Are there any subtleties compared to regular fonts? What is the unicode slot for math \alpha?

that does not look good. Any ideas on getting this right?

I also find px math ugly (although I did use it for my thesis). math pazo
is not much better, it uses most of the symbols from cm. There is a
commerical math from micropress that is supposed to be compatible with
palatino, but I have never used it myself.

Is there an otf euler option?

No. Also keep in mind that euler is no where close to being a complete
math font. Mkii used a virtual font that took missing symbols from px
math and cm.

I have a local half baked support for Euler, which uses missing symbols
from iwona. I can send the patch if you want to experiment with it.

Thanks! time is very short, although I like Euler and think it would work for palatino... maybe we need to get the gyre people on it for the future:-)

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy