OK the problem becomes clearer. The map files are now fixed, and texexec now complains it cannot find punr8a.pfb. Copying all pfb and afm files to c:\context\texmf-context\font\type1\adobe\univers and refreshing the filename database with mktexlsr allows the document to compile.

I have two problems:
(1) (The original problem) putting the pfb and afm files in texmf-local and updating filename database does not work. So texmf-local is being ignored.

(2) (My real problem, preventing me from using my own setups) \input basic-template where basic-template.tex is in the local tree is an error and the file will not compile.

However, I get this:
C:\Users\Christopher>kpsewhich basic-template
c:/Users/Christopher/Library/texmf/tex/sources/user/basic-template.tex

C:\Users\Christopher>

So for some reason texexec is not using kpsewhich to find setups. Why not?

Christopher