On 2009-12-05, at 7:55 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.12.2009 um 22:58 schrieb Design Department:
>
>> Earlier this year I attempted to set tabular material using ConTeXt while
>> meeting *all* the following requirements:
>>> Some columns need fixed width, content must wrap to multiple lines
>>> Multi-page tables
>>> Column headings must repeat on every page
>>> Additional header information is required on every page
>>> Additional footer information containing tabular text and graphics is
>>> required on every page
>>> Forced page breaks on arbitrary selected rows
>>> Horizontal rules between specified groups of rows
>>
>> I was unable to meet all these requirements and reverted to LaTeX. It works,
>> but I prefer ConTeXt and the LaTeX version takes a painfully long time to
>> converge on optimal column widths. I'm now using TeXLive 2009, rather than
>> 2008 - has anything changed in ConTeXt that will meet these requirements?
>
> Can you show a example from the LaTeX output.

For Walfgang, and anyone else who has thoughts, here's a sample PDF.
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B3ld3P7qGRnwOTRmOWJhYTEtMGQ1Yy00ZGE4LTk0NmQtYzk3NmJlYWIzM2Zh&hl=en

The main point is that the tabular material runs from just a single to several
hundred rows and each page *must* contain both the header and footer
explanations associated with the table. Normally the pages are broken at a
fixed increment of rows depending on the type of data, usually 20 or 32 per
page, but other values are possible. For good measure, field technicians often
want a forced page break at an arbitrary row position.

Two of the table columns contain data which may wrap to multiple lines, as
illustrated.

Is all this possible without writing a new tabular macro? I could get close,
but couldn't get the table footer repeating on every page or the forced page
breaks. That was using the TeXLive 2008 distribution.

david