> The best I can do.

Thanks Wolfgang. At first glance, it appears to cover the essentials.
I'll need to hack on it for a few days to test the minor requirements that
aren't so obvious in the sample PDF, but this gets me going again.

A particular advantage (if I'm interpreting this layout correctly) is avoiding
the use of column spans for header and footer material (other than the actual
column headings). This report has a number of different tabular layouts that I
didn't show you, each with unique column counts. Much more reliable if it isn't
necessary to watch colspan values in the meta-data sections (which should
really be includes.)

I would think the general requirement here isn't that unusual for certain types
of technical reports. This report is for a regulatory compliance application.
If printed pages within a single report are ever separated, it is essential
that the meta-data for the inspection be available on each page, not just the
first or last. The same must be true for many scientific and technical layouts.

I particularly need to get my head around what's different from my initial
approach.
Once again, thanks. I'll report on results in a few days for anyone following
this.

cheers,
david