Firstly, hello to all listmembers from a new member and first-time poster --- please excuse any accidental breach of list etiquette in my initial postings :-)

I would just like to start by saying a huge thank-you to Hans, Taco and
the LuaTeX team for producing this wonderful, facinating, piece of software. Thanks also to whoever wrote the rsynch-based installation of the ConTeXt minimals, it worked **beautifully** on my Windows Vista laptop.

I've come back to using TeX after a gap of a few years and I have to say that I am quite addicted to LuaTeX already. I have, in the recent past, programmed (mostly as a hobby) in C, Perl, PostScript etc --- so I am very keen to learn more about LuaTeX, and get to grips with it. There is much to learn, I am sure!

My personsal interest is to use LuaTeX as a tool in my (self-teaching)
studies of learning Arabic. Incidentally, that is how I discovered LuaTeX, through the videos of Idris' talks at the River-Valley site.

Specifically, I want to keep notes of my Arabic studies in a nice way, so LuaTeX looks perfect for that.

And so to my question. I would very much like to explore using (or writing (eventually...)???) commands that let me "format" Arabic words etc as part of my notes. I have not explored this yet, so I apologise if this is already possible 'out of the box'. I just wanted to ask the experts here, before spending too much time exploring the wrong things!

For example, I would like to be able to use colour with certain glyphys in (any location) within Arabic words. For example \somecommand{Arabic text} where \somecommand{...} would (for example) put certain glyphs in colour --- particularly for grammar, where you are writing out verb tables, or dual/plural endings for adjectives/nouns etc.

In essence, where do I need to start exploring to be able to write such things --- LuaTeX node processing, colour attributes etc??

Any pointers or guidance to help me start looking in the right place would be very welcome.

Warm wishes to all

Graham Douglas