On 7-3-2010 18:29, Philipp Gesang wrote:

So in this case, you would have \xmlinclude{test}{afile}{file}.
Yes, that did it.  I thoroughly confused the notion of “lpath” in
xml-mkiv.pdf.

it's not xpath but shares quite some properties with it

To actually make use of inc.xml in the current document, perhaps
\xmlprocessfile is what you are after?
[...] snip
That's actually what troubled me in the first mail of this thread.  I
don't think \xmlprocessfile is intended to include files this way.

xml in mkiv is still somewhat experimental although the commands and interfaces will stay; the current implementation is the second one and has the advanage that it stays closer to xpath and also is more roundtrip safe (tables of contents and so); i expect further improvements

i use the xml code in production environments so it's performing quite ok now