On 12-3-2010 20:11, Michael Saunders wrote:

The command \definefontfeature intrigues me greatly.  I wonder if it
could solve all my problems.  I'd love to understand it so that I
don't end up coming in here and asking you to write all my font setups
line by line.  I Googled it and found only a few scattered examples
here and there, mostly from this list.  I wish I could find an
explanation of it written down somewhere.  For example, I would very
much like to know:

1. What the first two arguments do.

the mode=base|node determines if we use traditional tex mechanisms (base) or let mkiv do all work itself (node)

2. What keys and values are available for the third, and what they mean.

the mode=base|node determines if we use traditional tex mechanisms (base) or let mkiv do all work itself (node)

there are also extra features and these are described on the wiki, in articles and mk.pdf and hybrid.pdf and once they are stable they will be properly documented

3. Once I have composed a \definefontfeature command, how do I use it
in the text.

not in the text, only when defining fonts; although you can enable and disable features in the running text (dynamicly) .. from the source:

% \startbuffer
% \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]
% \definefontfeature[oldstyle] [oldstyle] [script=latn]
%
% \definedfont[name:cambria at 15pt]
%
% Hello there {\setff{smallcaps}capped 123 \setff{oldstyle}123!}    \blank
% Hello there {\addff{smallcaps}capped 123 \addff{oldstyle}123!}    \blank
% Hello there {\addff{smallcaps}capped     \subff{smallcaps}normal} \blank
% \stopbuffer
%
% \typebuffer \getbuffer

4. For example, I gathered that I needed a [default]  [default]
[...onum=yes...] to get oldstyle numerals by default, but what if I
want to use some lining numerals here and there?
\definefontfeature [lining]  [lining]  [...onum=no...]
{\lining 123}
doesn't do it.

lnum=yes

5. How I could use the superior and inferior shapes in my font---like
for the footnotemarks, for example?

hm, with sups=yes,subs=yes i guess but better use \high{..} and \low{..} as often such font features are rather limited and depend on the font

6. Could I use \definefontfeature to set up the different design sizes
of my font (I'm trying to use some standard Adobe fonts like Garamond
Premiere Pro, which have design sizes), as well as its other features?

i never looked into that as i don't have those fonts

7. Maybe \definefontfeature is how I should turn on hz?

sure, once it's implemented (probably no big deal but as said, i don't have those fonts)

I'm sure these things must be possible, but I'm stumped about how to
find them out.