Am 2010-03-14 um 14:12 schrieb Michael Saunders:

A typescript file can contain a series of typeface definitions, e.g., one for serif, one for sans, one for mono, one for math, etc. hence the syntax \starttypescript

[<typeface>] [<identifier>]

I see!  So, I'm guessing that it is this <typeface> which connects the
typescripts to the font switching commands like \rm.  My guess is:
<typeface>     switch
serif              \rm
sans              \ss
mono            \tt
math             \mm
??                 \hw
??                 \cg
and that Context only permits these six families?

see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Basic_Text_Formatting

That's how I feel.  The command in question was:
\definetypeface [GaramondPrem] [rm] [serif] [garamondprem] [default]
The typography document says that the "[serif] [garamondprem]"
"are pointers to already declared font sets; these are defined elsewhere."
I know now that "[garamondprem]" is the "font set" in your typescript.
I don't know what font set "[serif]" points to or why.

"add a typeface to the GP family, that's a roman font, defined in the serif typescript garamondprem (i.e. [serif][garamondprem]) with features inherited from the default setting"

If you use "font clans" that have "families" for serif, sans-serif and perhaps other (like Latin Modern, Rotis, Stone, Lucida et al.) then you'll need typescripts for [serif][myclan] as well as [sans][myclan] etc. When I define the font setup for a project, say a book, I define typescripts for [serif][mybook], [sans][mybook] etc, and just call the "mybook" font clan, even if it consists of completely different font families (say Palatino and Frutiger).

In ConTeXt, you are always within a certain bodyfont (the one defined with the \definetypeface command). A switch like \it or \rm will thus take the italic/roman from this bodyfont. Meaning: when you say \setubodyfont[GaramondPrem], it will use "normal" Garamond Premier, if you use \switchtobodyfont[GaramondPremUpper], it will use the superior numbers variant.

Ahhh, okay.  It wasn't intuitive to me, as a user, that a relatively
small change (from, say, oldstyle to superiors) would take a much
bigger switch (of the whole bodyfont) than would a relatively big
change (from, say, roman to italic, which only needs a little \it).  I
wrote a set of font switches once (in LaTeX) that were all little
digraph codes

You can also define your number style as a Variant, see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Variants

I get the error:
!undefined control sequence
<recently read>  \usetypescript
l.12 \usetypescript

Check if there are any invisible characters that aren't spaces, tabs or newlines in or behind \usetypescript

\usetypsecript [GaramondPrem]

Here's a typo.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban