On 14-3-2010 14:12, Michael Saunders wrote:
Thomas A. Schmitz:

Thank you, Thomas.  I've been studying this closely.

A typescript file can contain a series of typeface definitions, e.g., one for
serif, one for sans, one for mono, one for math, etc. hence the syntax
\starttypescript

[<typeface>] [<identifier>]

I see!  So, I'm guessing that it is this<typeface>  which connects the
typescripts to the font switching commands like \rm.  My guess is:
<typeface>      switch
serif              \rm
sans              \ss
mono            \tt
math             \mm
??                 \hw
??                 \cg
and that Context only permits these six families?

it can support as many as you want but only a few make sense

you can combine such combinations in typefaces and mix then any way and use multiple such mixtures in one document

(major axis: rm, it, sl, ui; minor axis:  rg, ac, sc, sw, in, su, nu,
de, po, pl, to, tl  +  ornaments, which handles all of the variations
that Adobe makes, anyway).  Maybe I'll be able to reproduce it once I
get this working.

sounds complex .. it's more like:

[typefaceone|typefacetwo|...| [rm|ss|tt|..] [tf|it|..]

so if you want a smallcaps set, you'd best do something

\definetypeface[Whatever]         [....]
\definetypeface[WhateverSmallcaps][....]

and then switch the lot to smallcaps using a typeface switch (which is quite fast) instead of defining all kind of extra smallcaps instances within the main typeface