Hi,

Gour wrote:

Russell> As a tech writer for almost 30 years, and someone just getting
Russell> into Context, i am sorry to hear that was a joke!
Just see the sad affair of Context's docs so that the 'book' is topic for
the April's 1st joke. :-(

If it wouldn't be so sad, it would be funny...

Personally, I think it is a sad joke that I started a community project
to update the reference manual after a lot of complaints about the
documentation but over four years down the road the actual community
turns out to have a population closely approximating one.

At the moment I'm looking to learn jQuery and, rest assured, there are
several books to choose from.

If you could convince mozilla to adopt ConTeXt, I am sure there would
be a lot of books within half a year. Have a closer look on books on
'hot topics' like jQuery and you'll see that almost none of these
books are written by the inventors themselves. Granted, often the first
(and sometimes the best) books are by the inventors, but the *number*
of books on a subject just gives an indication of the book market size,
nothing more.

However, when I ask somewhere about the support for ConTeXt I'm
getting answers like: "This is the project which has only 5 or 6
users. Who actually uses it? Use LaTeX!" :-(

The availability of ConTeXt books will not automatically create more
users (nor even automatically create readers, for that matter).

This raises another concern and that is: what is the future of ConTeXt
is Hans "get hit by the bus"? (Of course, we even do not want to think
about it...)

The answer to this question is quite obvious if you have read Douglas
Adams' books: the bus will think about the impact of its actions on the
universe for a moment. Then, deeply immersed in gut-wrenching shame,
it will travel back in time half a minute and push its own breaks for
an emergency stop.

Best wishes,
Taco