On Monday 14 June 2010 11:52:28 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 14-6-2010 9:39, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> >     \section[number=no]{Whatever}
>
> this will not happen as the first argument is optional and reserved for
> a cross reference
>
> Hans

Yes, of course!
How about \section[reference][number=no]{Whatever}?

The following is a bit verbose. It is related, but is more general than the
subject of unnumbered sections...

I have to say that I am now a bit confused about the use of arguments in
ConTeXt.

In LaTeX, optional arguments are contained within [] and required arguments
are grouped within {}. However, in ConTeXt, the situation is not quite so
clear. Take \section[reference]{Title} for example. Here, the reference is
optional and the Title is required, so a title-less section would be
\section{}. This is somewhat sane, even though one may well use sections
without titles.

Contrast this with \cite (I choose this example as I just figured-out that its
misuse was the cause of some obscure problems in a big project). We have
\cite[key], rather then \cite{key} as in LaTeX. Is this because we may also
have \cite[authoryear][key]? Of course, the key is not optional as one can
hardly imagine using \cite without some sort of key, so one might expect
usage: "as remarked by \cite[authoryear]{Einstein1905}."

My error was to have reflexively used \cite{key}, and this sort-of worked so I
did not pay it any attention. However, here and there in my document,
references, for example \chapter[ImportantStuff]{Important stuff} were broken,
with no obvious reason. After correcting my use of \cite[key], other
references were suddenly fixed.

Alan