On Monday 14 June 2010 13:17:54 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > I have to say that I am now a bit confused about the use of arguments in
> > ConTeXt.
>
> The general rule is quite straightforward:
>
> * arguments in {} pairs are typeset material
> * arguments in [] are setup instructions and metadata
>
> Whether or not an argument is optional has nothing to
> do with the used delimiters.

Quite logical and straightforward.

It is useful to read the manual (section 1.3):
"A command is often followed by setups or by text. Setups
are placed between brackets ([]). The scope or range of
the command, the text acted upon, is placed between
curly brackets ({})."

I see that my reflexes have been spoiled by years of practice with LaTeX - old
habits die hard.
Lamport (section 2.5):
"Command arguments are enclosed in curly braces { and },
except for optional arguments, which are enclosed in square
brackets [ and ]."

So I added a paragraph to
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/From_LaTeX_to_ConTeXt#Command_syntax

Alan