> Fonts are sometimes special and when ypu load a font it's
> setting (e.g. ligatures, protrusion etc.) are frozen. To change the
> settings you need \definefontfeature before \setupbodyfont,

OK, got it. Makes sense!

Could this also be extended to \switchtobodyfont, in case I am using more then
one font. Any \definefontfeature statements would have to be done before
switching to any new font?

In regard to the use of \showbodyfont in combination with protusion (the second
mentioned problem) messing up palatino (ie. TexGyre Pagella), does that mean
\setupbodyfont is doing some "background work" causing the layout following it
to fail when protrusion is applied?

Thanks again, Martin