On 08/17/2010 03:05 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

Do PDF's generated by XeTeX and LuaTeX "subset the font" in this way?

Yes, this is the default. So unless you have manually interfered, the
included fonts are always subsetted.

I'm interested in the other way around, how can I tell luatex (or
context) to not subset the font,

  \enabledirectives[fonts.embedall]

and I read that some recent version of
PDF specification allow embedding of unchanged opentype fonts (as
compared to converting them to type1 fonts), does luatex support (or
plan to support) that feature?

In LuaTeX, we are not converting to Type1, OpenType fonts are always
embedded as CID Type0C, Truetype as CID TrueType. But some OT tables
are stripped for efficiency reasons (GSUB and GPOS, for example).

Best wishes,
Taco