On 08/22/2010 09:53 AM, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

Clearly, this gives me each glyph individually but stacked on top of
each other. What I need though is that the second figure looks
exactly like the first one (with all glyphs in the right location)
except that the grey bounding boxes appear per glyph.

I know what you want now, but I have no idea how to go about doing
it via this approach. It could be made to work from the other
direction (by writing lua code to intercept tex nodes) but that is
not trivial either.

You could use standalone metapost with btex ... etex, that would work.

Best wishes,
Taco