On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 22:44, Florian Wobbe wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2010, at 22:03 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 20:15, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>>
>>> Especially for line drawings it would be beneficial not to place every
>>> single point. Instead consecutive points should be skipped if they are
>>> close to each other (with regard to plot units) - it makes no sense to
>>> include points which you won't see anyway. This could be done by defining a
>>> grid with a certain (user defined) resolution and rounding the coordinates
>>> (plot units) of a line point to the nearest grid node. All consecutive line
>>> points falling on the same grid node should not be passed on to terminal
>>> drivers. The psxy utility of GMT (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/) does this
>>> for instance. I am not aware of such a functionality within gnuplot but it
>>> would be a nice feature.
>>
>> But this is an issue of Gnuplot, not something that a terminal writer
>> is supposed to think of.
>
> Indeed, this was my point in the first place. It should be handled by gnuplot
> prior to handing the data over to the terminal driver.

However you need to write to gnuplot-dev then. This mailing list
cannot help you.

>> But yes, it would be nice if also ConTeXt terminal would be included.
>> It still doesn't support raw images, but most other features are
>> present.
>
> Right, this might help increase the awareness among academics. Also not
> everyone has the ability to build gnuplot from sources.

But as I said ... there have to be others writing on gnuplot-dev to
show interest to other gnuplot developers. I will continue to work
with Peter to improve TikZ output and to include support into
t-gnuplot.tex, but comparison such as the speed test demonstrated with
those random points (sent to dev-gnuplot) may help.

Mojca