> There are, but context is looking for the wring character; it is looking
> for U+3014 (which I think is a CJK bracket

  Indeed.  It's one of the angle brackets that one finds in many CJK
fonts.

>                 while it should be looking for U+27EE (whose Unicode
> annotation precisely says "lgroup"):

  Note that those annatations in the code charts are actually the
Unicode 1.0 names of the characters, where they differ from the Unicode
1.1 names (when Unicode was unified with ISO 10646 and adopted some of
its names).  They should not, in general, be understood as the name of
this character is some other standard, for example.  But they are of
course a good hint of what the character represents.

        Arthur