Hi Hans,

in symb-mis.mkiv you define most symbols with \mathematics. I don't know why
you take these symbols from the math font. Just in case the symbol does not
exist in the regular font, I would guess.

Problem is only, that you will loose most symbols when switching the math font
to something else than computer-modern (I tested with euler and cambria). BTW:
I wonder how many contexters use modern for math...

Anyway it appears most fonts have geometric shapes and common symbols and
dingbats. So I end up redefining the symbols:

\definesymbol [bullet]    [\textbullet]
\definesymbol [dash]      [--]
\definesymbol [star]      [\char"2734]
\definesymbol [triangle]  [\char"25B6]
\definesymbol [square]    [\char"25A0]
\definesymbol [diamond]   [\char"25C6]
\definesymbol [checkmark] [\char"2713]

Also it looks nicer when you use item symbols matching the text font.

Maybe you would consider this and prefer symbols from the text font rather than
those from the math font and keep \mathematics only as fall back should the
glyph be unavailable.

Cheers,
Florian