After some trial and error, I'm using

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\startlinecorrection
  Paragraph with inline math
  \gform{math stuff} % without the optional [-]
  and some more text that belongs to this parapgraph
\stoplinecorrection

and

\blank[-1*line]

where necessary. It is not really a convenient solution, but it works and I've got the impression that I can do what I want.

Again: Does anyone have a better solution or advice regarding grid usage?

Regards,

Christoph