On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:38:42 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <isha...@colostate.edu> wrote:

OTOH, why not just use
bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla

Just curious: Is there anything that \message is missing for what u want? I tried both inline and multiline combos and they all work like a charm:

Untested, but I am pretty sure

\message{\iffalse}

will fail. Basically, everything inside \message (or the \hide macro by Wolfgang) needs to be processed by TeX, so strictly speaking it is not equivalent to a comment.

See the TeX FAQ http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional for more details.

The most robust solution is to use buffers, but that will not work if the buffer is part of a macro argument.

The luatex solution (which is again not perfect) that I posted removes everything inside the comment before it is seeen by TeX.

Aditya