On 11-1-2012 17:33, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 05:24:51PM +0100, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 04:23:28PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

indeed, and it's a bonus that ~ == nobreakspace (although I can imagine
that we'd get rid of it) but defining other macros in terms of active
characters is a bad idea

(in fact one can use the unicode nbsp character)

I have always liked this TeX active character (~).

As information for users of X11:
setxkbmap -option nbsp:level2
(and the equivalent in "xorg.conf" or "etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-init.fdi")
gives nbsp as shift+space.

On the subject of unicode characters,
I just discovered the ":dig" command (diagraphs)
under my favorite editor "vim"!