Hello,

as no new answer so far, I started to experiment.

It seems that [at least] component id(s) cannot be omitted:

---- Prod.mkiv
\startproduct % PPP
  \component Comp.mkiv

  Product
\stopproduct
----

And:

---- Comp.mkiv
\startcomponent % CCC
  %\product Prod
  %\project Proj

  Component
\stopcomponent
----

- Gives a wrong product, as Prod.pdf doesn't include the component.

Another test:

---- Prod.mkiv
\startproduct _ % PPP
  \component Comp.mkiv
  \component Comp2.mkiv

  Product
\stopproduct
----

And:

---- Comp.mkiv
\startcomponent _ % CCC
  Component
\stopcomponent
----

---- Comp2.mkiv
\startcomponent _ % CCC
  Component2
\stopcomponent
----

Gives a good result.

So it seems that [at least some] ids are required, and just not-to-be-empty.

I tested the case when all product/component ids were the same, i.e. "_", as a
dummy value.

As later the ids are referred nowhere, it seems that they are necessary just
due to syntactical rules.

Or - ?

Lukas