On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Kip Warner wrote:

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 22:44 -0500, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
Thats how itemgroup are configured. You cannot mix assignments (key=value)
with options.

I don't follow. What is the difference between this,

\setupitemgroup
  [article]
  [
    left={Article },
    stopper=,
    symbol=R,
    before=\blank,
    after=\blank,
    distance=0.5em,
  ]
\setupitemgroup
  [article]
  [broad,fit]

, and this?

\setupitemgroup
  [article]
  [
    left={Article },
    stopper=,
    symbol=R,
    before=\blank,
    after=\blank,
    distance=0.5em,
    broad,
    fit
  ]

ConTeXt checks if the argument of \setupitemgroup has an assignment (key=value), then it calls a version of \setparameters; otherwise it calls a version of \processcommalist. So, if you use assignments and options in the same command, the options get ignored.

All ConTeXt commands behave like this.

You can use

\setupitemgroup
     [article]
     [command=\blank]

That worked. Thanks.

Why do you expect \setuphead to change the way itemgroups behave?

Because I can't make any sense of the thousands of pages of ConTeXt
documentation scattered everywhere with little apparent rhyme or reason
to its usage and with everything other than whatever it is that I seem
to need present in them.

If you define a command using \define<...>, then you configure it using \setup<....>. Other than a few exceptions, that's how it is.

Use

\setupitemgroup
    [article]
    [color=...]

I tried that and it did nothing.

\definecolor[colour_text][r=0.754,g=0.516,b=0.324]
\setupitemgroup
   [article]
   [color=colour_text]

Minimal example?