On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 19:57 +1200, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
> On Tue 10 Apr 2012, Kip Warner wrote:
>
> > I'd like to use an MLA style bibliography with MKIV. The style is
> > available here:
> >
> > www.reed.edu/cis/help/latex/bibtexstyles.html
> >
> > Actually, it doesn't matter to me whether it is that one or any that
> > supports MLA already that ships with ConTeXt.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think that either option is viable: ConTeXt
> doesn't come with an MLA style as far as I know, and you can't just
> drop in a BST because ConTeXt doesn't use BibTeX to typeset
> bibliographies (it just uses it as a preprocessor to convert .bib
> files into its own \startpublication ... \stoppublication format).

Indeed, that is unfortunate. I am a little surprised because I would
think that the people who use ConTeXt tend to be more from the sciences
than the humanities, and so I wouldn't have expected APA style as the
default. But surely someone must have found a way by now?

> The available styles are listed in bibmod-doc.pdf and you can also
> find them in tex/texmf-context/tex/context/bib ; MLA isn't amongst
> them.

Agreed. But when I change it to anything other than apa, even to
something allegedly supported, like num, I just see a [[error 2]]
typeset.

> Unfortunately you'll probably have to define the style yourself using
> \setupcite and \setuppublicationlayout -- see bibmod-doc.pdf for
> details and the existing bibliography styles for guidance.

I wonder if someone has already done that?

> Hope this helps,

Very. I'm glad to find someone who knows about the bibliography module,
since discussion and documentation seems to be scant. I have a few other
bibliography related questions that you or Hans might be able to answer:

(1) I'd like it such that each time I use \cite, the full citation and
not just "(Some One, 1967)" appears in a footnote, rather than inline.
I'm thinking this is done with one of the setup commands, but not sure
how to do this. My *tex is fairly weak.

(2) I'd like to do the above, but also in some cases be able to specify
a specific page number or anecdote to add to the footnote.

(3) I'd like any entry in the BibTeX database that has a url to have the
title clickable such that the browser is invoked to that url. Which
brings me to the next question.

(4) Since my database is specified in the .bib format, what is the
preferred way of specifying a URL where there is one? I've seen a bunch
of different suggestions ranging from using the 'note' tag to wrapping
in a \def.

(5) Is there any way to dump a list of all the references, similar to
\placepublications command that just lists references that contain a
certain keyword or something? e.g. organized by a category?

Take care Pont,

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred