But what left me really wondering this time was following. I tried to
comment out "U0xfb35" table in "char-def.lua" for proof that this solution
should work at all. However, for my surprise, it had no effect at all. For
just in case, I even purged my Ubuntu PPA packaged version of ConTeXt to
make sure that this modification I made to standalone version is really
used. No effect. I also checked that my TeX file should have the correct
characters, not the already combined ones. No error in there either.

After changing one of ConTeXt's source files, you should remake the formats with

context --make cont-en

(or context --make, if you want to make the dutch/german/etc. interfaces, too.)

Can you try that, and let us know if it works?
Kind regards,
Sietse

Ok, thanks. After running 'context --make cont-en' it works. So at least the concept is now proofed with my setup.

Now that I learned to make modifications to ConTeXt effective, I made following observations. If I comment out lines 485 and 486 from "char-utf.lua" (should be the only two lines of function characters.filters.utf.enable()) I am able to turn collapsing on and off with following command line calls.

context --directives=filters.utf.collapse=true testcase.tex
context --directives=filters.utf.collapse=false testcase.tex

However, this also turns collapsing off by default. When there is no modifications to ConTeXt, I still don't know how to toggle this thing on and off.

So, maybe "char-utf.lua" is still flawed or I am still missing something.

Thank you for your help,

Simo