Hi Wolfgang,

Am 30.01.2013 um 21:56 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schus...@gmail.com>:

> Am 30.01.2013 um 10:00 schrieb Keith J. Schultz <keithjschu...@web.de>:
>
>> Hi Everybody,

[snip, snip]
>> Also, it took me awhile to find the setupwhitespace command, because for me
>> whitespace can be
>> either horizontal or vertical. I think it would be better to rename it to
>> setupparagraphspacing or something
>> like that. Or at least define a synonym for it. This would make things
>> easier for the casual or beginning user.
>
> Which space do you mean in horizontal direction?
        O.K. Traditionally in typesetting and typography whitespace is just
that white space.
        White space can also be inter-word spacing (horizontal).

        Since ConTeXt's setupwhitespace just maps to the parskip-demension I
personally find
        the name confusing.

        Possible for a synonym one maybe should use then setparagraphskip. This
is just a suggestion.

>> Maybe I am missing something. Ideas welcome.
>
> The problem with the formatting of paragraphs is that TeX (the engine) has no
> big concept about paragraphs.
>
> When you want to change the font or color for a paragraph you have to change
> the values of the document
> with \setupbodyfont[…] or \setupcolors[textcolor=…]. For local changes for a
> certain paragraph you can
> apply these values in a group (to change the color you can just use
> \startcolor[…] … \stopcolor).
        I am aware of this. Since,  I noticed the the paragraph(s) environment,
I only assume that the functioned
        similar to the header environments. My mistake!

        It would have been nice, if ConTeXt had such an environment. I do not
know how ConTeXt processes
        things internally, but since it is a front end, ConTeXt could have the
syntactic sugar of a "paragraph"-environment.
        That is that, while parsing the source it injects groups into the code
it outputs for the paragraphs.
        This would give us then "paragraph"-layout. Naturally, this is not a
TeX way, but could be a ConTeXt way.

> ConTeXt provides also a paragraph environment but this add only tags when you
> export the document
> as XML or create a tagged PDF.
>
> The paragraphs (note the "s") environment has a Hans already mentioned
> nothing to do with paragraphs,
> it just puts the content on columns where each column can con tai multiple
> paragraphs. The name
> for the environment is misleading because columns is already taken as name.

regards
        Keith