john Culleton <j...@wexfordpress.com> writes:

> Did a fresh install of context etc. from the context site. I used this
> test file:
> -------------------------------
> \starttext
> ``Hello world.'' And ``Goodbye world.''
> \stoptext
> %\bye
> The resulting pdf shows two left tick marks for opening quotes but the
> closing quotes are proper curly quotes.
>
> If I modify the file as follows:
> -------------------------------
> %\starttext
> ``Hello world.'' And ``Goodbye world.''
> %\stoptext
> \bye
> ---------------------------
> and use luatex or pdftex from texlive the quotes are OK.
>
> I got similar results from context in texlive 2012 and texlive 2013.
>
> What is the proper code for opening quotes in context?

The "truly proper" code is \quotation{Hello world.} - that style is
guaranteed to work. (And, for instance, if you change context's language
to French, then \quotation{Bonjour monde.} will automatically give you
the correct style of French quotation marks without having to look up
how to type them; likewise for other languages.)

I think the problem of the two left tick marks may come from web browser
copy-and-paste. Special marks, especially the quotation marks,
apostrophes, and tick marks, are often mangled when converting to and
from HTML. When copying any program's code from a web page, watch out
for those marks, they've probably been mis-transcribed by the too-clever
HTML rendering.

--
David R