Am 27.07.2013 um 16:29 schrieb john Culleton <j...@wexfordpress.com>:

> I think I will encapsulate the "\quotation" method in a macro like
> \def\qq{\\quotation\{}
> or similar. Two keystrokes are better than  nine.

Use \delimitedtext[qq][quotation] to create a new quote command.

> I note that the plain TeX version of closing quotes, '' still works.
> Would it be that hard to make the opening quotes of `` still work?

You’re wrong the output of '' looks correct but it isn’t as you can see in
the following example. When you write ' context replaces it with ’ which
is together with -- and --- one of the remaining fake ligatures which
can be enabled with the “tlig=yes” in \definefontfeature.

\starttext

\type{''} = ''

\type{”} = ”

\stoptext

> Not every change is an improvement, IMO.

One could misuse the translate module for this but I really suggest to move
forward and use direct input of “ and ” or \quotation{…}.

\usemodule[translate]

\translateinput[``][“]
\translateinput[''][”]

\enableinputtranslation