On 2013–09–25 Otared Kavian wrote:

> I have not yet tried it with references to maths formulas,
> theorems, lemmas and such,

Me neither.

  \ifsinglesided
    \strc_references_do_relative_else\plusone
      {\def\strc_references_smart_string{\labeltext\v!nextpage}}
      {\strc_references_do_relative_else\minusone

> The issues I noticed are the following:
> 1. Typesetting the file gives an error message when there is no
>       \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]

A typo:

  \ifsinglesided
    \strc_references_do_relative_else\plusone
      {\def\strc_references_smart_string{\labeltext\v!nextpage}}
-      {\strc_references_do_relative\minusone
+      {\strc_references_do_relative_else\minusone

> 2. In the above minimal example, when stating
>               \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> then Test 2 and Test 3 do not result in the smart references
> expected (they both result in « See figure 1 and figure 3. » while
> Test 2 should give « See figure 1 and figure 3 on next page. »,
> and Test 3 should result in « See figure 1 on previous page and
> figure 3. »).

That's on purpose. If the graphic appears on the same double page,
it is visible and no further reference is printed. In traditional
typesetting a single page is rather insignificant. The reader is
always faced with double pages, never single pages.

> Thanks again for sharing your module.

Well, it wasn't meant to be a module. I rather intended to start a
discussion and threw some code in to start with. If there's interest
I can make it a module.

Thanks for the feedback.

Marco