On 2013–09–25 Otared Kavian wrote:

> Also after applying your patch everything works as expected. I
> tested your file with some maths formulas and changed even the
> language to French with:
>
> \unprotect
> \setuplabeltext
>   [\s!fr]
>   [\v!atpage=page\nobreakspace, %% “at page” sounds weird

Redefining atpage should not be necessary, it is already defined in
the core as “à la page”.

@native speakers: Is it “on page 3” or “at page 3”? I think “at
page” sounds weird. Either I remove my redefinition or it should be
corrected in the core.

> However maybe it would be better to have some setup options like:
>       \setuplabeltext[smartref][atpage={page},
>                       previouspage={à la page précédente}, %or {page
> précédente}
>                       nextpage={à la page suivante}] %or {page suivante}

Label texts are a general context mechanism and are set per
language, so all macros in all modules display consistent strings.

> In case Hans is willing to add such capabilities to the cross
> referencing, it would be great if one could setup the cross
> references in the same way by saying for instance
>       \setupreferencing[alternative=smartref]
> and then have \smartref be defined automatically.

I'm not sure if that makes sense given the current commands. The
referencing commands are not interchangeable, use different syntax
and behave different.

> A final remark concerns the possibility to visualize the reference
> points when one is in the process of proof reading: at least in
> maths, it is usual to have dozens of reference points to formulas,
> lemmas, theorems, etc, and it is quite useful to be able to
> visualize such things.

I have in mind that such functionality exists. My guess that
\setupversion[temporary] should do the job was unfortunately wrong.

Marco