Thanks Aditya,

my metapost skills will probably not suffice to start this from scratch, but
your hints made me dig around in the sources a little,
and in mp-apos.mpiv I found anch_sidebars_draw which not only draws the
straight marginrules but also dotted ones, to
be invoked with \startmarginrule[2,alternative=1].

This confirms my suspicion that Hans has a time machine that allows him to
implement features so that they are miraculously already available when
requested.

I then tried to play around with this function a little, e.g. changing
        dashed (withdots scaled (linewidth*2))
         dashed evenly
but, to my embarrassment, it didn’t have any effect. Do I need to do something
else besides saving the modified file to
have it take effect?

Thanks,
Matthias