Hi Rik,

thanks again. Now I feel doubly stupid: First for not putting the distance into
\setupmarginrules, and second not realizing
that the disappearing dotted margin is due to my rule thickness=.1pt.

Anyway, both approaches work now. When I get a free weekend I will head into
metapost and see whether I can get my squiggles
and zigzags.

Thanks to everybody for the help!

Matthias